Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What kind of knife roll should I buy for a short term cooking class


What kind of knife roll should I buy for a short term cooking class?
Im studying at a culinary school in Italy this summer, it's only for a month. Im going to get a knife set and was told I need a knife roll. when I looked up knife rolls, I found that they range in price big time. Im wondering if the cheaper ones are too flimsy, I dont want the knives to pierce through the roll and mess it up, or rub against each other and dull. I dont think i should get knife guards because I don't know exactly what sizes my knives are going to be... I've narrowed it down to the economical Messermeister for $25 http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=1294 or the cute and sturdy looking (thicker material and extra strap to hold the knives) Dickie's for about $56 http://www.knife-depot.com/knives-338.html pretty big range in price, is the more $ worth it? I've never had a knife set or knife roll. I dont plan on being a chef. But as an average person who looves to cook- how often do normal people use their knife rolls ? Are they useful or waste of space? I was not told how many knives I was going to get, but because it is only for 1 month I'm sure the 8 pocket roll should be enough
Other - Food & Drink - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
im a qualified chef and what i advise newcomers is tospend a little bit more. a heavy canvas one is good with kavlar as it will protect you also !!!!!!!! lol how many knives do you wish to hold? i can then advise you