Monday, February 16, 2009

what kind of knife roll should i buy for a short term cooking class


what kind of knife roll should i buy for a short term cooking class?
Im studying at a culinary school in Italy this summer, it's only for a month. Im going to get a knife set and was told I need a knife roll. when I looked up knife rolls, I found that they range in price big time. Im wondering if the cheaper ones are too flimsy, I dont want the knives to pierce through the roll and mess it up, or rub against each other and dull. I dont think i should get knife guards because I don't know exactly what sizes my knives are going to be... I've narrowed it down to the economical Messermeister for $25 http://www.cutleryandmore.com/detai... or the cute and sturdy looking (thicker material and extra strap to hold the knives) Dickie's for about $56 http://www.knife-depot.com/knives-3... pretty big range in price, is the more $ worth it? I've never had a knife set or knife roll. I dont plan on being a chef. But as an average person who looves to cook- how often do normal people use their knife rolls ? Are they useful or waste of space?
Other - Home & Garden - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I actually use a knife bag myself, but I've only had it for a couple of months and so far no tears or big cuts... yet. I have the Messermeister bag and I use mine a lot since I need it for work. And that's exactly what they are for, cooks who need to lug their knives around with them. In your case, since it's only for a month, a knife roll or bag will do find, the knives are going to be snug in the bag with minimal movement, unless you really force movement, so it won't do so much damage on the bag.