Sunday, May 24, 2009

Can I go to Austria and back to Italy with my single entry national visa type D


Can I go to Austria and back to Italy with my single entry national visa type D?
I'm Thai and I've got a single entry national visa type D from Italy (I will study in Italy for a year). Can I go to Austria via Germany for a workshop for a month and come back to Italy I've explain I have to go to both the country (to fly to Italy to get my tool then fly to Austria to do the workshop before coming back to Italy to start my school year) and they gave me this type of visa.? I've been calling the embassies in Thailand and nobody gives me the same answers and no one seems to know the new rule applied after 5 April 2010. "With the new legislation, a long-stay visa (for stays exceeding three months) will - as regards the Schengen area - have the same effect as a residence permit: a third-country national holding a "long-stay D visa" issued by a Member State could travel to the other Member States for three months in any half year, under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit." from http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/10/111&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en I'm wondering do I really need to apply the permessio disoggiorno to get the reciept before traveling since I've tried to apply (for the renewal) but they said I can't because they've run out of the reciept! I know according to the new rule I should be able to travel in other states but I'm not sure if I can re-enter Italy since it's a single entry.
Immigration - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Single-entry is defined as ONE entry to the entire Schengen territory. As long as you stay within the territory of the 25 Schengen member countries you don't need anything else. There are no immigration controls on so called "Schengen internal flights". You just need to show your passport on check-in to proof your identity similar as on a domestic flight within your country. The Permesso di soggiorno is required once you plan to fly home on holidays and want to re-enter Italy..