Saturday, May 16, 2009

Can I go to Austria and back to Italy with my single entry national visa type D


Can I go to Austria and back to Italy with my single entry national visa type D?
I'm Thai and I've got a single entry national visa type D from Italy (I will study in Italy for a year). Can I go to Austria via Germany for a workshop for a month and come back to Italy I've explain I have to go to both the country (to fly to Italy to get my tool then fly to Austria to do the workshop before coming back to Italy to start my school year) and they gave me this type of visa.? I've been calling the embassies in Thailand and nobody gives me the same answers and no one seems to know the new rule applied after 5 April 2010. "With the new legislation, a long-stay visa (for stays exceeding three months) will - as regards the Schengen area - have the same effect as a residence permit: a third-country national holding a "long-stay D visa" issued by a Member State could travel to the other Member States for three months in any half year, under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit." from http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/10/111&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en I'm wondering do I really need to apply the permessio disoggiorno to get the reciept before traveling since I've tried to apply (for the renewal) but they said I can't because they've run out of the reciept! I know according to the new rule I should be able to travel in other states but I'm not sure if I can re-enter Italy since it's a single entry. Thank you so much! i get it now after spending my whole week reading these regulations.
Embassies & Consulates - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You do not need any further visa if you have one in one European country. Europe has free circulation of workforce and population, and all they ask you at the airport is either a simple country ID, or your normal passport. The problem happens only when you get in-out of the European Union. It works in the same way you can fly within states in the US, they do not ask you for immigration documents between states. They ask you for your visa when you just fly in or out of the USA.
2 :
Yes, you can travel within the Schengen zone on a national type D visa and get back to Italy since April 5, 2010. You cannot travel out of the Schengen zone and re-enter before you hold your Permesso di soggiorno. Number of entries refers to the number of visits that may be carried out during the period of validity of the visa while respecting the length of the authorised stay: Example: – one entry: a visa is valid from 1.1. – 30.6 and allows for one entry. During that period the holder is allowed to travel once to the territory of the Member States; once he has left the territory of the Member States, he is not entitled to re-enter. For the purpose of the Visa Code the term "Member State" refers to those EU Member States applying the Schengen acquis in full and the associated states, and "territory of the Member States" refers to the territory of these "Member States". http://dc.the-netherlands.org/Services/Consular_services/Visa/US_citizens/Traveling_to_the_Netherlands/Tourist_and_Business_Visa_for_the_Netherlands_Schengen/See_also/Map_of_Schengen_countries .. Just to clarify: the free circulation of workforce and population only applies to European Union citizen and nationals of EEA countries as well as of Switzerland. The free movement of long stay visa or residence permit holders for 90 days per semester only applies within the Schengen territory, not in the U.K. or Ireland for example. Source(s): http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/freetravel/visa/docs/c_2010_1620_en.pdf ..[see page 71 and 16]