Wednesday, April 1, 2009

If you go to university in Italy and become an M.D. are you only qualified in Italy


If you go to university in Italy and become an M.D. are you only qualified in Italy?
I'm a Canadian girl who's going into grade 12. I love Italy and I speak Italian, and I would love to live there someday. I don't know exactly how the Italian university system works, but assuming it is along the same lines at North American universities, if I get my Bachelor of Science in Italy, and attend medical school, go through residency, etc., and became a doctor in Italy, does that mean I'd be able to be a doctor ONLY in Italy? If for some reason I wanted to move back to Canada, would my qualifications no longer be sufficient in Canada? And the same goes for if I did all my schooling in Canada. Would I be able to be a doctor in Italy (assuming I spoke Italian well enough)? Thanks.
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You're in Canada, so I don't know the specifics. In the US, you'd have to get your non-US degrees evaluated and declared equivalent to regionally-accredited ones of similar designation in the US; and you'd have to take some exams -- maybe some additional courses -- and do some internship and residency... ...but, after passing at least one medical licensing exam after all that, you could become a physician in the US if you were once one in Italy. It's just a MAJOR (and costly) pain in the rear. I presume Canada is the same, but some Canadians here who know will need to chime-in. Hope that helps.